There are a variety of ways to volunteer with Breakthrough San Juan Capistrano. You can make a difference in the lives of Breakthrough SJC students. Here are a few ways to get started:
High School Volunteers
- Serve as a Breakthrough SJC In-Session teacher during the school year. Breakthrough SJC is looking for talented high school students in Orange County to provide homework help and enrichment for Breakthrough seventh and eighth grade students attending Marco Forster Middle School. In-Session teachers will receive ongoing training and must be available to teach Tuesdays and/or Thursdays from 3:20-4:30 p.m. at Marco Forster Middle School, 25601 Camino del Avion, San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675. The application for the 2017-2018 In-Session program is currently closed.
- Serve as a Breakthrough SJC High School Tutor during the school year. We are looking for high school and college students to serve as tutor. Tutors will receive ongoing training and must be available to work with students on Wednesdays and/or Thursdays from 4:00-6:00 p.m. at the Boys & Girls Club of San Juan Capistrano. The application for the 2017-2018 High School Tutoring program is currently closed.
- Become a Breakthrough SJC Student Leader during our summer program. Student Leaders assist in Breakthrough SJC classes, tutor students, set up meals for students, and assist staff and teachers throughout the summer. For more information about the Student Leader position, click here.
- Help with administrative office work during the school year.
Please contact Volunteer Coordinator, Samantha Geary, at email@example.com or 949-661-0108 ext. 1350 for additional information regarding the tutoring program and becoming a tutor.
- Tutor high school students on Wednesdays or Thursdays from 4:00-6:00 pm. The application for the 2017-2018 High School Tutoring program is available here. Click on our recruitment flyer for more information about being a high school after-school tutor. The deadline to apply is Friday, September 15, 2017.
- Apply to Breakthrough Collaborative’ s Teaching Residency to spend six weeks teaching Breakthrough SJC’s highly motivated students. For our online application process, visit our national website.
- Mentor a student through college and scholarship applications.
- Help to plan a fundraising event or host a fundraising social event with your friends.
- Host a Breakthrough SJC teaching fellow in your home for two months in the summer.
- Host an information session about Breakthrough SJC at your community organization or group.
- Set-up support for Breakthrough SJC events and special activities.
- Help with administrative office work.
- Attend monthly meetings to discuss and plan upcoming events and fundraisers.
- Brainstorm ideas to improve event planning.
- Coordinate with staff to outreach within the community.
- Execute program events and fundraisers.
Contact Program Director Victor Cota if you would like to volunteer or discuss about other opportunities to get involved. Victor.Cota@smes.org, 949-661-0108 ext. 1342.
Thank you for your support!