Applying to Breakthrough SJC is a very selective process. We accept only motivated students who are determined to work hard and attend college. The program is free to students, but students’ hard work and commitment is their payment.
Our application for the 2017-2018 school year is now open. You can pick up an application at the Marco Forster Middle School front office or click here. If you would like to speak to a Breakthrough SJC staff member about the application process, you can reach out to Assistant Director Alex Serna, email: firstname.lastname@example.org , phone: 949-661-0108 ext. 1322.
Timeline of Application Process:
January 25, 2017 and January 26, 2017: Breakthrough SJC staff will present at Marco Forster Middle School to current 6th graders and hold Parent Informational Sessions in the evenings.
*Extended deadline* March 3, 2017: Applications due. BTSJC applications consist of Student and Parent Information, Student and Parent Short Answer Questions, Student Personal Statement and Two Teacher Recommendation Forms.
March 13, 2017: Student Interviews.
March 24, 2017: Breakthrough SJC applicants are notified of their acceptance into the program. Some students may be placed on a waitlist.
May 20, 2017: New student orientation
Breakthrough SJC applicants should:
- Have grades and test scores that show skills proficiency at or above grade level
- Have grades and test scores that show strong academic growth in the past year
- Want to attend a four-year college
- Be excited to attend summer sessions for three years and Breakthrough programming for six years
- Attend Marco Forster Middle School
- Be in the sixth grade (few spots may be available for seventh or eighth grade students, please inquire with specific questions)
If you are interested in applying to Breakthrough SJC, or for more information for your child, please contact Breakthrough SJC Assistant Director Alex Serna email:
Alex.Serna@smes.org, phone: 949-661-0108 ext. 1322.