Applying to Breakthrough SJC is a very selective process. We accept only motivated students who are determined to work hard and attend college. The program is free to students, but we expect all students to work hard and fully commit to Breakthrough all the way through college graduation.
Our application for the 2018-2019 school year is available now and the regular decision deadline is February 2, 2018. You can pick up an application at the Marco Forster Middle School front office or download here BTSJC Student Application 2018. If you would like to speak to a Breakthrough SJC staff member about the application process, you can reach out to Assistant Director Alex Serna, email: firstname.lastname@example.org , phone: 949-661-0108 ext. 1322.
Timeline of Application Process for 2018-2019:
February 2, 2018: Applications due. BTSJC applications consist of Student and Parent Information, Student and Parent Short Answer Questions, Student Personal Statement and Two Teacher Recommendation Forms.
February 12, 2018: Student interviews at St. Margaret’s Episcopal School.
Late February, 2018: Breakthrough SJC applicants are notified of their acceptance into the program. Some students may be placed on a waitlist.
May 2018: New student orientation
Breakthrough SJC applicants should:
- Have grades and test scores that show skills proficiency at or above grade level
- Have grades and test scores that show strong academic growth in the past year
- Want to attend a four-year college
- Be excited to attend summer sessions for three years and Breakthrough programming for six years
- Attend Marco Forster Middle School
- Be in the sixth grade (few spots may be available for seventh or eighth grade students, please inquire with specific questions)
If you are interested in applying to Breakthrough SJC, or for more information for your child, please contact Breakthrough SJC Assistant Director Alex Serna email:
Alex.Serna@smes.org, phone: 949-661-0108 ext. 1322.