Applying to Breakthrough SJC is a very selective process. We accept only motivated students who are determined to work hard and attend college. The program is free to students, but we expect all students to work hard and fully commit to Breakthrough all the way through college graduation.
Our application deadline for the 2018-2019 school year was February 2, 2018. However, do not become discouraged, you can apply for the 2019-2020 school year. New dates will be published in the fall and announcements will be made at Marco Forster Middle School.
May 2018: New student orientation for the class of 2022.
Breakthrough SJC applicants should:
- Have grades and test scores that show skills proficiency at or above grade level
- Have grades and test scores that show strong academic growth in the past year
- Want to attend a four-year college
- Be excited to attend summer sessions for three years and Breakthrough programming for six years
- Attend Marco Forster Middle School
- Be in the sixth grade (few spots may be available for seventh or eighth grade students, please inquire with specific questions)
If you are interested in applying to Breakthrough SJC, or for more information for your child, please contact Breakthrough SJC Assistant Director Alex Serna email:
Alex.Serna@smes.org, phone: 949-661-0108 ext. 1322.