Breakthrough students are academically motivated middle and high school students who are committed to success in a four-year college and who demonstrate need for the program.
Breakthrough SJC students attend Marco Forster Middle School, Capistrano Valley High School, San Juan Hills High School, Dana Hills High School, JSerra Catholic High School, or St. Margaret’s Episcopal School. The program strives to serve students that demonstrate a need for Breakthrough in at least two of the five following ways:
- Student will be first generation in family to attend four-year college in United States
- Student’s family income qualifies him or her for free or reduced price lunch
- English is not the primary language spoken at the student’s home
- Student lives in a single-parent household
- Student identifies as a student of color
Breakthrough SJC students are highly motivated and determined to attend college. They undergo a competitive admission process to be accepted to the program. Breakthrough SJC students demonstrate academic motivation in the following ways :
- Student completes a rigorous application process for admission to Breakthrough
- Student’s teacher attests to his or her motivation in a written recommendation
- Student’s grades and/or test scores show skills proficiency at or above grade level.
- Student’s grades and/or test scores show strong academic growth in the past year
Breakthrough SJC students:
- 91 percent will be the first in their families to graduate from college
- 94 percent are students of color
- 89 percent qualify for the State Free/Reduced Lunch program
- 84 percent English is not the primary language spoken at home
Breakthrough SJC is having a tremendous impact on its students.
- Since 2006, Breakthrough has served over 300 students from the San Juan Capistrano community
- Most students remain in the program for six years, beginning in seventh grade through high school.
- Breakthrough currently serves 53 middle school students from Marco Forster Middle School and 95 students from Capistrano Valley high schools.
- The average GPA of our middle school students is 3.7.
- 2016 Breakthrough SJC graduates are attending Pitzer College, UC Santa Cruz, CSU Fullerton, St. Olaf College, Chapman University, Brigham Young University, and Loyola Marymount University.